About the Peace Council
Purpose and Commitments
Current Annual Report
How You Can Help
News > New York Meeting
Ninth Annual Meeting of the Peace Council
25-30 September, 2005, at Union Theological Seminary
in the City of New York, United States
• The 2005 meeting of the Peace Council was held in New York City from Sunday, September 25, to Friday, September 30, 2005. On Monday, September 26 at 5:OO pm the Peace Councilors presented a public interfaith service at Riverside Church in New York City, with the theme, Peace is Possible. More than 2,000 persons attended. Peace Councilors Dr. Chung Hyun-Kyung, Rabbi Levi Weiman-Kelman, H.H. Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama, Ven Dhammananda Bhikkhuni, Rev. Gonzalo Ituarte, OP, Swami Agnivesh, Rev. Thomas Keating, OCSO, and Sr. Joan Chittister, OSB, addressed the gathering.
• Peace Councilor Professor Chung Hyun-Kyung was the host Councilor and
• A major theme of the meeting was the increasing political and cultural influence of religious extremists in the world and in the United States. On Tuesday morning, Dr. Joseph Hough, president of Union Theological Seminary, opened discussions on the growing political power of the “religious right” in the United States and its influence on domestic and foreign policy. Dr. Hough is widely known as a strong advocate for liberal religious and political principles. The discussions included theologians and scholars from Christian evangelical groups. Dr. Hough's presentation, "The Religious Situation in America," presents an overview of the issues.
• During the week the Peace Council also reviewed progress and decided on future programs. Topics included ways to advance the work on women's issues begun at Chiang Mai. Councilors decided to meet with European Muslim leaders in 2006. As usual, there was time for private and informal discussion, time to renew friendships, and time for prayer together.
• The meeting supported the work of Peace Councilor Chung Hyun-Kyung and her students and contributed to and benefited from the interfaith commitment of Union Theological Seminary, where she teaches.
Home || About the Peace Council || Peace Councilors || Purpose and Commitments || Current Annual Report || Looking Ahead || News || Trustees || How You Can Help || Links || Contact ||
Page Published: 08/15/2005 · Page Last Modified: